Power at my property

As the electricity distributor for Central Hawke's Bay, we are responsible for the electricity connections to all property types in the area.

It is Centralines' aim to work with you to ensure you have a safe, reliable and cost effective power supply.

Centralines needs to proactively manage its' network to ensure it complies with the regulated voltages to all its' customers. These voltages can be affected by increases in the load requirements of customers, therefore it is critical you inform Centralines if you are planning any changes to the load on your property i.e. irrigation pumps, milking sheds, industrial activity, workshops or subdivisions. Our network specialists and electricians will be happy to discuss your plans with you and give advice as required.

The guide includes information relating to all:
  • New connections
  • Temporary connections (a Builder's Temporary Connection or BTS).
  • Converting a temporary connection (BTS) to permanent supply. 
  • Making alterations to your existing power supply, such as upgrades or downgrades based on your changing needs.

If you are interested in getting power to your property click on the link below:

Get power to my property

Are you medically dependant on electricity?  
In the event of a power outage, activate your back-up plan, or call 111 if you are feeling unwell or have no alternative support plans in place.  Please ensure you have registered yourself as medically dependant with your electricity retailer - their contact number can be found on your power bill.